. . . surviving ramdhan . . .

assalamualaikum

hmm... 5th day of ramadhan. another 25 more days to go. oh shut up, you're counting the days as well. let me guess, ur head hurts... feel dizzy.... stomach is growling non-stop... your breath stinks... etc.

well thats part of ramadhan. lucky enough for me, surviving ramadhan has always been my favorite. restraining myself from all the usual needs (and i do stress that i do refrain and restrain myself) is not that bad. trains me more on patience. i have so much, i'm starting to see a halo on top of my head as well as white fluffy wings behind me :P

i think we do have to agree that having early breakfast or sahur isn't normal for us. its so hard to kick up an appetite while your body is still in sleep mode. hence, some people would do it after the terawikh prayers. actually you could have 'extra points' on having your sahur after waking up but yeah, i don't blame others coz its not easy waking up early. then theres the part of cooking. i don't like doing that too early coz it does not only annoy the hell out of me, other people in my apartment i think won't appreciate the noises i make. hell, i try to fart under the sheets most of the time... (too much info?).

so after my first experience of ramadhan last year, i modified my habits for this month... i had to do serious calculations to since the fasting times are way off different from last year (next year would be worse...). last i checked the dawn prayer was at 0455hrs and the dusk prayer was at 2031hrs. so imagine the length of time and patience we endure here in Swiss.

hence my schedule is like this;

wake up around 3-3.30am, just brush my teeth and wash my face, drink plenty of water (coz thats what i usually crave during the day), have a meal thats just enough for my tummy to handle, have a couple of sweet stuff too like chocolate (i really need sugar most of the time, normally i would get a loaf of bread and some Nutella... just the thought of it now makes me drool. urgh)... then finally the dawn prayer. sometimes i could sleep a bit after that before going to work.

when the break comes at dusk, i try not to gobble everything down at a nanosecond. i tend to take my time. the most perfect step is to drink water and have some sweet stuff (maybe a few pieces of sweet crackers), do the dusk prayer, then have the full dinner. for me, food would always consist of a good ample portion of rice and one portion of a side dish whether it be meats or veges. for this month i would concentrate more on skimming the oils. which means more soups and veges for me. i know it sounds terrible but hey, like i said, restraining myself. nothing is easy... and nothing is impossible :) i would also leave some food for the sahur so that i won't have to cook again in the morning. i try to eat slowly and not exceeding my limits (the usual procedure would be eat till u cant breath or move... which is astoundingly stupendous).

so far so good. i have not terrorized my tummy after following such strict schedule. it works and i am happy. oh yeah, since there is a wide gap between asar and magrib prayers, i use most of it to nap and rest my body since during that time its the most critical where my systems begin to lockdown on food or water. even looking at a picture of an ice-cold lemon tea, sweating its coldness outside the sides of the bottle with the effect of icy water and ice splattered around it seems so inviting. yes, i do a heck of a detailed explanation when i am hungry. arent we all?

wassalam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

. . . tough times ahead . . .

. . . upgrade . . .